Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why We Blog, How We Blog

Prior to reading articles and watching videos on blogs I was unaware of the content and full purpose. Now, after reading the various articles and watching videos, I have an enhanced understanding of what a blog is. A blog to me is an extremely useful source that allows you to express your feelings, opinions and emotions. It is a way to share and communicate personally about your thoughts with others. A blog can be educational, an approach to extend your thoughts by comparing them with thoughts of others. Teemu Arina explained a blog as a reflection. He proposed a strong point that created ideas in my mind. It’s a way to communicate with others and view thoughts outside of your own. You are able to reflect and really think about your personal thoughts and learn from them based on others opinions. Blogs are beneficial because you are capable of discovering people with the same interests. Although they can also be unbeneficial. This seems to be a concern for people, and there has been an issue among hate groups. These groups use blogger websites to communicate about racism, gender, religion and more. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel as if judgments regarding racism, gender, and religion should not be blogged on. It is insensitive and even though it’s a form of expression, I strongly feel such expressions should not be posted on anything that can be viewed by everyone. A blog should be inoffensive, a place where everyone is able to express themselves and feel comfortable.

3 comments:

Nick Tambakeras said...

Kim, I agree with you that everyone is entitled to their opinion. That’s one of the benefits of living in the country that we live in. But, more than that, what makes our rights here so desirable is that we are also allowed to express our own thoughts and opinions in the public sphere without fear of persecution. You go on to say that judgments regarding racism, gender, and religion should not be blogged on and I wonder why you say that. Sometimes, another person may express an idea that you consider to be a negative judgment, but that someone else may consider informative and enlightening. Sure, there are hate groups that most everyone can agree should be ignored…but silenced? Because there are thousands of other groups out there that fall into that gray area, where some believe they are right and others believe they are offensive and wrong. Who decides? You? Me? The government (God forbid)?

T-Balla said...

To answer your question about what does a blog mean to me, my answer would have to much not too much at this moment. This is my first time doing blogging and im still trying to figure out what it's all about. I find it to be a cool idea though and i'm willing to learn more. As far as hate crimes on blogging go I dont really feel like that is what blogging is meant for. i dont feel it is meant for attacking another race, gender,.. something different than the writer, and etc. I feel that the main purpose for blogging is meant for new information purposes, almost like what the news doesnt cover or interesting facts people would like to share. Thats just my opinion though.

ben said...

I really like how you summarized a blog as a way to "view thoughts outside of your own". The more I think about it the more I see that a blog is really just an informal way of sharing your thoughts on anything and viewing others thoughts. It's a great way to expand your viewpoints of different topics and issues by getting real feedback on them from other people.