Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Help Darfur Now!

While looking at websites I made sure to analyze the different aspects they had to offer. Each website is unique in how the author sets it up. Colors, pictures and bold headlines drew me into the website I finally chose. I truly believe these are important aspects that have a lot to offer to the audience.
The author is a member or president of a nonprofit organization. It’s obvious to me that this website is created through a nonprofit organization because Darfur’s sole purpose is to raise capital for those who were affected by the genocide of Darfur. This is clear through the pictures and various captions. The captions that caught my eye leading me to believe it was an organization were such words as “help,” “endorsements,” and the most obvious of the three: “donations.” The tone of this website is elaborate explaining the details of the organization, and objective in showing their goal and how significant it is.
The audience is targeted to people who are willing to donate capital in order to help the organization. This may consist of males or females at a variety of ages. Many of those who are enthusiastic to help this foundation will base their decision off the effect they receive from viewing the website. This is important for the author to keep in mind.
The purpose is to inform people about the genocide of Darfur and the affects it has had on the community. Not only does it inform but it also persuades people to get involved and help. The various pictures portray emotion and reach farther than just that. It catches people’s attention and draws them into their organization.
The websites main appeal is pathos. The pictures of crying people and skeleton bodies depict a sad sensation. When I look at the pictures there is a feeling of helplessness. Although, I know there are people helping them. This leads to ethos showing how valuable and rewarding this organization is. The site contains pictures of all the citizens they have received endorsements from. They range from actors, to governors. The site has captured their audience and a professional manner. I am able to observe this through logos. The pictures of citizens who have donated capital are expert testimony. By seeing who had contributed, you know the site is real.
By taking critical approach on the websites I observed, it helped me to depict and understand what the site was about without even reading any of the captions. I noticed pictures, colors, and bold headlines drew me into the website I chose to observe. From now on, I will analyze websites with a deeper meaning and understanding!

3 comments:

Mitch McInnis said...

Great post. I agree that there is a very powerful sense of ethos, as well as pathos, on a site such as this. People seem to be drawn to websites like this out of a sense of compassion and what I believe to be a curiosity for what is happening throughout the world. There are many sights like this on the internet, what made you choose this one in particular?

cari chapman said...

I like your post. You have a good analysis of the website and cover all aspects of ethos, pathos, and logos. thanks for commenting on my analysis of homestarrunner.com. Have you really never been there? You should definitely go. It is so funny. The best are Strongbad e-mails and teen Girl Squad!

ben said...

This is a very good analysis of the site. You really went in depth and seemed to be right on with your analysis. One thing that caught my attention was the web address of the site, helpdarfurnow.org. This is very different than how other sites choose their name. It seems like even before you load the site it's trying to inform you of the ungency of the situation in Darfur.