Thursday, April 17, 2008

What is a Blog?

Why would someone want to create a blog? I think this was a question posed in many classmates minds at the beginning of the semester. A blog is a website that offers a way to express your feelings and emotions by connecting with people who share like interests. It is similar to a diary. It’s a sense of freedom and relief. There is no limit on what you can and cannot say. It is strictly your opinion, and people can choose to judge you or agree with you, and through this you are able to learn valuable information. It is your space to do whatever you choose. This might include a profile containing pictures, quotes, poems, bright colors, videos, graphs etc. It provides a way for people to speak openly about things they are uncomfortable talking about in person. It also allows people to share personal stories about themselves. As a class, it has become a way that we, as students, can share our work communicate with each other, and provide valuable feedback.

This semester is the first time I had ever used the blogging website. I had no clue what a blog consisted of, and I didn’t have the slightest idea of how to use it. Although, with the help of Nick, and a “test post,” I was on my way! English 105 has introduced me to what a blog is all about, and more importantly opened up my perspective on others critical thinking and writing skills. I have been impressed with what I have read on classmate’s blogs this semester. They have gone from short paragraphs to an entire page of writing. I think this has shown a change in our writing as well as a increase in confidence. Each blog assignment has led us into each writing assignment, creating multiple ideas on how to approach them. I believe the object of writing a blog is to pose questions, as well as show your own thought about different aspects in the many subjects in life. With this, you receive valuable feedback either to boost your confidence, or to learn from. I’m not sure how others feel about the comments that have been posted on their blogs this semester, but I have read the comments posted on my blog and have taken them into consideration. The comments left on my blog caused me to think critically. The one thing I would consider changing though is the consistency of blog responses. They seemed to be redundant towards the end of the semester and I felt as if they also got noticeably shorter. I believe by participating in blog assignments, and taking them seriously, we learned from each other and became stronger writers as a class.

I see now why blogging is something that has become more popular over time. I had never used it before, although it’s easy to use and a swift way to share feelings as well as communicate with others. Blogging is like a form of email, only quicker. In fact, it has become so easy that companies now blog rather than using a website. Considering it is so fast, I believe more and more companies will consider blogging, and this will increase the population of people using it. Now that I am familiar with the website, I think it is something I will consider using in the future to keep in contact with friends and family.

No comments: