Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"Right To Fail"

“Maybe we are learning again to cherish this right of every person to succeed on his own terms and to fail as often as necessary along the way.” The essay ends with this quote, but it caught my attention and seemed to sum up everything I had just read. I think the quote is meaningful, but do we really think in that respect, or is that just the way we should be thinking?

Today, it seems the younger generation is afraid of failure. They view the lives of their successful parents and hope that they will one day be just as successful, if not more. This is the case with me. I come from a very successful family who has always been hard workers. My mom has never been a stay at home mom, she has always worked. In fact she is a high manager at Hewlet Packard. My dad has worked his way up from being a commercial real estate banker, to opening up his own bank in Idaho, and is now president and CEO of his bank. He has also been very successful real estate (land) on the side. On top of my parents being successful, my brother is very bright. He just graduated with a 3.9 and a double major is accounting and finance, and was recently hired by a very big firm who hasn’t hired anyone in ten years. With everyone being so successful in my family, I often become stressed and worried. I am scared to fail and not be as successful as my parents and brother. I feel like I have extremely high standards to live up to. My dad has always told me, “no matter what you do, in my eyes you will never fail.” He knows the pressure I feel and has always made it clear to me that no matter what I do he is proud. I have noticed this the most now that I am in college and trying my hardest to have success in the near future.

Do we choose our own success, or follow the paths of the ones closest to us? If I chose to follow the path of my family will I ever be happy and successful? This refers back to the quote I stated at the beginning of my blog, I believe the right thing to do is cherish the right of every person to succeed on his own terms.

2 comments:

mitzi said...

Wow! I bet you do sometimes feel pretty stressed out with such a successful family. I hope you do find a path that brings you success and happiness on your own terms, and it seems like you are off to a good start. One thing that caught my attention in what you wrote was that you considered your mom successful in part because she has never been a stay-at-home mom. I think many stay-at-home parents feel very successful, and parenting means more to them than any job title.

Scubadiver1188 said...

I think the reason why the younger generation is afriad to fail is because of their parents. the parents need to realize that the only way their kids are going t olearning anything is to fail, they can't do that with the parents being so pushy when it comes to success or failure. SOme of the most succesful and well known people in history have failed on more then one occasion.